Saturday 4 April 2015

Sketchbook pages ~ Current work


 My White Sketchbook's first page - as I have two, one full of colour based work and a second book, I am currently using  based on white work.

This page is quickly followed with similar work in watered down black mediums, though applied with more care and design. The layers in the work are to build texture and design - from a white page, building on the layers for contrast.

Work like this was to let me look at contrast and layering in my sketchbook specifically. 




 Close to the beginning of the sketchbook I also have some examples of lace that I tried - this I believe is stitch lace.

This is where designs are stitched onto a prepared closely woven fabric, some of which have cut out sections -  which I have also tried.

I enjoyed doing this because of my past experiences and interests in embroidery and sewing. This practice led me to continually look into other types of lace.





                ___________________________________________________________________




 These textured drawings of paint, glue, inks etc. were experiments in how to apply texture to my drawings. These drawings were inspired by my previous work for my spray paints - where I used a lot of geometric designs to accompany other parts of the designs. This work then began to feel like it had a 'Aztec' design aspect to some areas, something I've quite liked, but not developed into weaves - hand or machine woven. However, I did develop this into designs for laser cutting experiments.



_______________________________________________________________________




These images show my market research - above and my own illustrations - below. There are a lot of different imagery that I need to think about, ranging from: clothing styles, to styling choices and also illustration styles. I have also got to decide on use of colour - to illustrate my designs I can remain true to design and visual features or expressive to appear pleasing to my market and be interesting in aspects other than the design. I choose to pick illustrating in a style that was truer to form - allowing me to design and illustrate my collection, much more clearly. This has allowed me to develop my work, my design choices and my illustrations.





 ______________________________________________________________________



 Below is more textured drawings and experiments, made at a time closer to some of my illustration work, These experiments look closer at mark making and textures. I wanted to do this because of my illustrations to look at and my options with design - especially with a lot ideas surrounding possible jacquard, which would most likely have a contrast colour in the design, unlike my hand woven samples.










No comments:

Post a Comment