Thursday 30 April 2015

Materials





I want to plan the samples for next week to keep myself very busy. However, for this blog post I really want to look at the materials I have used in the past and what I want to consider for the next lot of work. Something to add to this is that I have two viscose yarns to make up my warp. Neither are as shiny as I wanted but they are soft and its interesting to see the differences in the twist of the yarn too.



Materials:



PVC - 71% PVC & 23% Polyester & 6% Polyurethane
 I got a lengthen of white PVC tape yarn  of 0.8 Nm. I got this locally and was surprised by their selection of technical yarns available, and the amount of colours too. 




Lurex - This is also an item I got from Uppingham Yarns, the local shop I mentioned before. In fact got two cones; one is vinyl look and the other is opaque. Both are quite fine and fairly delicate - winding a bobbin for the boat shuttle can be a lengthy process


 Chenille - I haven't used chenille before this project but I've enjoyed using it a lot, however it ran out during my last warp. I haven't decided whether I should try getting more to work into this project with. Though if I do decide to source some more I will have to be quick doing so. This does not give me more opportunity to try some other materials in my work though.


Replacement -  I've been advised to bring more contrast into my Textel work, as the new Jacquard warp will be Black and White- like the first warp.
* show work from both warps to compare.

This development with more materials should be easier with the work I've been making on the Textel and Jacquard looms which have used darker grey and black yarns. Which will be more compatible compared the the first samples I made using any grey, which were soft tones. This made some interesting work but looks too soft against the Jacquards. So, I've hoping to use a harsher grey in my work, made of wool or a thicker yarn, to press this contrast in my work.
The chenille and mixed yarns have created tones in my other samples, the grey and lurex will make a stronger contrast.


 I also want to seriously consider my samples sizes and shaping. My new warp allows me to weave 60 cm, and its been wound on the mill to be 7 m in length. I could consider creating 1 m long samples as a norm, from now, which would be great to display, but limits how much I could create. Though with the time limit it could to my advantage.


           ____________________________________________________________________



3 WEEKS

No comments:

Post a Comment