Wednesday 1 April 2015

Drawing - My collections design development




My early drawings of my collection - which were aiming to inspire me of what I could try to achieve and were more of a artistic  expression than a set of designs for a collection. Colour meant strong textures, different materials or colours. 

These designs also work to show me use of colour and balancing materials, and allow me to see scaling and what I might need in order to produce such textiles.
For example - trimmings, elastic, sewing skills, print processes, amount of fabric etc.
 
            ______________________________________________________________________




 These drawings are more 'made-up'  they look neat and  more selective with their design. The texture used is to stylise designs I might create in my textiles, but the cut and design of the clothing allows for hints on my market.

Thick paint has been used to show possible design, materials and/or texture I might create. There's been more care in drawing the 'model' and I have been selective when choosing what materials were used.

              ____________________________________________________________________








My latest choices include more mixed-media - chalk, crayons, paint, pens and papers/textiles. More than just different acrylics, but also very selective in the colours used. Different materials are used carefully to  describe different materials, yarns and colours. As well as describing my textiles as a fashion piece, as a finished piece. These are things to consider as a part of a collection. Designs that could build the starting few pieces of a collection of  young women wear market.

The bodies I've used are used repeatedly - tracing and re-drawing my own, often editing them to stand out - black line, white highlights, skin coloured paint (yes it is very off but the closest I have) and the shapes/poses used. I changed the bum on one as I found the original was way off of being 'correct'  and twisting the bodies or moving arms allow for similar poses to be drawn quickly without them being in the way/not being shown off - which is why a change is needed. Fashion drawing for clothing designs - before and after catwalks aren't held to standards to be drawn anatomically correct. However, I find it helpful if the drawing is done suitably well, so to the estimated fit and design of a garment. 

I continue with mt mixed media pieces, especially those on tracing paper which have become a important part of designing my collection - due to the difficulty of drawing white on white or white on coloured materials. In fact influencing me to try to use this as a part of visual research using tracing paper to draw my research - textures and graffiti - and to use white pen whilst doing this. Which could build on my work and bring a stronger link from my visual research to my final work and the designs I create.

              ____________________________________________________________________


This is difficult to see but the top drawing is a girl in a vest top and skirt,
covered by a heavily trimmed kimono/loose jacket - all, but the trimming, in white.
Though there are some issues with the model's body not being  anatomically
correct I do like this drawing, and those behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment