Thursday 9 April 2015

Graffiti for Texture


I choose Graffiti for this project because of the variety - design, topic, meaning, texture, materials, artist, style, environment, everything is different to each piece. It was after visiting London for New Designers last year that I decided to go with that theme for this project. But it was whilst I was at New Designers that I got inspired by the graffiti surrounding me, I photographed a lot of it, and loved that my friends took me around the a big part of the city - they knew where they were going, I did not.

I loved that after turning one corner the graffiti was next to gone, after streets of it. There were clear sections where street art was okay and where it could not cross. That kind of amazed me.

Though it does make perfect sense with the stigma attached to graffiti, it's not wanted in all areas, even if its just decoration than art with meaning or purpose to be there. But there's people who do appreciate the street art, big or small.

This piece to the left was the first picture I took that day in London - I looked the style and the dripping paint and best of all I love big cats! This was on the gates of the location for New Designers. This didn't tell me much about the themes for New Designers and the work produced. However combined with all the other graffiti I saw around, it told me a lot about the area, and I loved it. I loved that we were surrounded by Graffiti and graffiti based events.

This experience encouraged me to continue with Graffiti and the photos from New Designers were my starting inspiration. The work was amazing - all of it that day, Textiles, fashion, graffiti and each exhibit. I'm glad I got to see the graffiti, though this meant I missed the cat walks that day.  I probably missed some great work on display, but I got the chance to see so much of a city that's different every time I visit, and I got to see that there was so much more there than I had seen,
____________________________________________________________________

 More from London





__________________________________________________________________

     From Derby




No comments:

Post a Comment