Friday 2 April 2021

G . O : Workspace During Lockdown

 


Getting On :


Workspace During Lockdown : Desk, Study & Dinning Table


Like everyone I know - workspace at home has been a major change for a lot of people. For me - I don't have a fully dedicated space that fits me and my work, alongside side everything else in the home. I did my desk and hung art in a few places - this hasn't changed much during lowdown. However, I have had more time to work at home on art and other mediums, but not the space to keep ongoing work out for more than a few days at a time.


I have a good desk setup, which will be getting a new chair and a monitor stand (with a drawer) - Though largely unchanged during this time. Unless you count all my mess. I have knitting and embroidery projects to my right side at the moment. I've had some projects to use up materials, rather than buy. Including those boxes I've decorated for my partner and me. This has helped to make a little more space and create at least some more storage, before having any clear out.




Over lockdown I've had only 3/4 clear outs - only two focused on my work stuff and hobbies. The first was to make space for die-cutting and paper crafts, as you can see my shelves are decently full, in the pictures below. The second time, was to accept some fabric due to a clear-out of another home-sewer. While this meant getting rid of some scraps that weren't being used (tiny pieces), making quick plans for larger pieces and donating anything I knew could be used by someone else. 

Pulling everything out and organising usually takes a good while to sort. Last time, it took me 3 days, as I gave myself breaks and space. Walking away can let me see what I actually can use versus something I want to keep for the sake of it. For my process - I need to have a project even if it'll take a long time before I start or finish the project. I will need to go through these shelves and the cabinet on the right again, soon and plan sewing clothes or larger projects before lockdown is fully lifted in May.  (This is my deadline no matter what occurs, I need deadlines and timelines so times to focus on projects).




Dining table is another space I use but I like making a point of using it a couple of days a weeks for dinner, while my partner enjoys eating at his desk while there are other plans for both of us. We have a wooden table, second hand - so we have a table cloth to make it look nice. Protecting the table isn't much of a priority due to age and previous owners. The table has an extension but I rarely use this when working on art or hobbies, as I will just spread to fit the space I have. When I should keep myself under some control, when I don't need a 6 person table. 

This table has seen me through acrylic painting, watercolours, die-cutting, sewing clothes, pattern drafting, photography and plant care. Along with all my project planning and organising. This bit of space has been good to keep organised with my mess and make sure I clean up regularly and plan my weeks. Planning my time has been a something that's helped my mental health during lockdown - Knowing they aren't set in stone also helps. 




The rest of my space hasn't been decorated - hence the white walls but adding art and keepsakes to my areas has been great. I wanted grey carpets and white walls so whatever furniture and décor we pick will pop with colour and details. I am hoping to add a lot more with our current plans for our space.








                 ________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment