Sunday 12 April 2020

C . W : Pattern


Changing Wardrobes :


Pattern : Beach Cover ups Aug. 2013 and Kaftan Aug.2018




With summer coming, I thought it was a god idea to combine using my fabric stash and creating something for the beach and hotter weather. Since I have no big holiday plans for this year (especially with the stay home and self-isolation at the moment), but since I do have a wedding in Italy to plan for in the future. I'm being hopeful and keeping myself busy. If nothing else I can plan to do a winter/autumn visit to another hot tub and sit out there in the rain at daft hours of the night with a few good friends.


The beach cover up - left - comes with a pattern that shows obvious options to add contrasting trims and a lot less hemming than the kaftan. Lengthening should be easy. While the fit - for me - is probably not desirable the cut in the neckline would be really nice. This could be lined for comfort on windy days or a towel/fleece like fabric for drying. Making something more cosy. Or bias bound edges could be a method to lean towards if light weight/sheer fabrics would be preferred. It is suggested to use cotton or jersey. Linen might be another idea if you struggle to find certain prints or colours. (Below the beach cover up is on the right). I like that this style covers more of the arm and reduces some bulk from


The kaftan - right - gives me ideal lengths that might be preferred. Another suggested option is to add a trim or use the edges of the fabric. Fabric that are suitable include cotton, silk and linen. But with a cover up and skills could mean lace, sheer fabrics, printed panels and scrap fabric panels or quilts that are made or brought. While this gives a lot of options for colours, combinations and patterns, the width and depth of fabric available might limit some options depending on the size wanted.
For this style, a lot hemming will be involved in this style and also, if wanted, lining. A lot of fabric would be used and be worn on the body.
I would personally go for a a single layer fabric, bias bind the edges - contrasting or similar - at the shorter length. Hem the sides and neck. Turning the bottom edge and applying a trim to it. Lace has been a favourite addition to my projects lately. Often I try to colour match a trim to something in my patterned fabric. Adding a tie at the waist would help me find my preferred fit, when wearing the cover. I'd still have the option to wear it as loose as I'd like.



                 ________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment