Tuesday 21 April 2020

G . O : Living Space


Getting On : Kitchen wall art


I moved into this flat and couldn't find anything  to decorate the kitchen, beyond a vase and a recipe tin to decorate the space. I did make some curtains with my fabric stash to match some of our appliances and cupboards  - black and white. So I decided I needed some colour and use up some paint while I was at it.

Since we just moved in it made sense to use up these canvas boards, and paint to free up even a little space - to help me enjoy the space.
We had decided to go with yellow for the kitchen, for a few reasons; I love mustard yellow, my vase, it works nicely with black and white, and lastly its a bright and strong colour since we don't get  alot of direct sun in from this window after 8am. It helps that my partner wanted some bee themed, yellow and cream beige additions to the kitchen and for dining table.




I started a quick sketch of the flowers I wanted - Daisies just like my fabric for the curtains. With sketchy outlines and all white. Then I did the backgrounds for the canvas with layers of yellow, mustard and a few mixed tones - in gouache(the darker mustard - i had more of this than any other yellow) and acrylic. 
While those dried I decided on my composition and whited out an area I decided the flowers and other features would be. Layering the white only where the petals and other bright features would be. It took me a while to be happy with the background - since I don't have much practice with backgrounds - textured or detailed.



I took a full day to do both canvases - alternating as they dried helped. I'm not super happy with the end results just content and they provide the colour I needed for the space. I do have a home for when I finally replace them - my nana wants them both and enjoys them more than I do.





















No comments:

Post a Comment