Tuesday 28 April 2020

G . O : Books


Getting On :


Books : Metric Pattern Cutting

Winifred Aldrich's Metric Pattern Cutting , 1991 (reprinted and extended) - Original 1976.
This pattern cutting book was a staple at my university for fashion students, and we had 3 editions in the library. The contents are organised with students in mind - the acknowledgements show this, with the advice sought and the technical drawings are clear and easy to understand. The text explains any details clearly, and any references for differing details or options are all referenced well. Allowing any reader to find the page and compare the information and choices. Whether its referring to another basic block, the processes included or fit issues to address.

The editions we had available at university led me to look for any edition I could own for myself, because of my interest in fashion, while on my textiles design - weaving course. I got this edition as a lucky find while on a textiles/fashion trip to a old English home, which had a second hand book shop as an extension to the gifts shop. I  unfortunately can't remember the name of the place, but I do remember the purchase and how lucky I was to find the book. Let alone the first person to pick it up out of all the students. At the time I had found others online for 4/6 times the price, even well used. While this one though sun damaged on the spine, its pristine.


Reads - ' Metric pattern cutting has now been extended to
include a new section on computer pattern grading and
numerous blocks have been added to this edition.
Having become the recognised leader in its field, this book
 is written for  beginners and will be equally valuable to
students of fashion and design, clothing manufacturers
and the creative home dressmaker.

Anyone who wants to create patterns for original clothing
designs can follow the techniques directly from the simple
 diagrams and step-by-step instructions in this book. It also
shows how to combine the technique of good pattern
 cutting with the principles of design and so to create an
almost  limitless variety of styles.

Winifred Aldrich is an experienced designer and lecturer in
design and pattern cutting.' 










The blurb summarises the intentions of this book better than how I was trying to explain.  Each edition adds to the content and advice for those using the book at the time. Modernising and adapting as needed. Even the contents and the chapters change - in later editions this goes through sections of how clothes fit the body - body hugging - or adding information for newer materials and processes. The basics are always covered to help anyone who needs to go back to basics or just starting - with basic blocks, measurements and toiles.

I've included a select few pages I've kept marked for myself, since the month I brought this book, to show the brilliant instructions and technical drawings included. Books like these are so important to students and at home sewers to teach anyone what they might need. Further instruction or watching videos and going to classes may be needed, but having a reference that is clear and adaptable to aid in designing is amazing. I find it inspiring to go through books for sewing, and  needle-craft.
Flipping through pages remind me to try different sleeves and fits. Going out of my comfort zone a little to practice and build my skills.


I hope others find inspiration in the editions of this book, any similar books or in any way that works best for them.





                 ________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment