Friday 3 April 2020

G . O : Workspace


Getting On : 

Workspace - My Desk 

Image may contain: indoor

Well, I have my work space more furnished for me now. I moved in January 2019, I starter with building a desk after my first few months - I didn't have a desk to move int with, until my partner. But he also got an upgrade later on too. So it took me entire day to put together this desk from B&M, only because the 'locks' for the interlocking sections are super annoying for me. But when it was done I had a clean white desk with; my oldest sewing machine (its a year older than me), my computer at an angle and my brocade style place-mat. I finally had work space for myself, my art and just general filing of things away. So the next jump was to fill my shelves, just under the desktop - too easy, and to customise my space and the white walls I was sticking with. I didn't feel like I want to hang too much or paint because this is my first place renting, with my partner of 10 years - I simply don't know how long we will stay here. So I got some art up too - If you follow my Instagram you likely found this fell down - scared the life outta me at 12/1am to not realise this happened till the next day. Luckily - I hope I don't jinx this - this hasn't fallen again, yet.

No photo description available.


















1st black shelves, then white desk
It was always the plan to save up and come back to add more storage that would fit well for both of us. Well the first addition was these tall slim DVD / CD shelving, we got from amazon. This came in about 5 boxes, but the shelving is similar to IKEA and we can adapt the shelving height. This is perfect for my partners dragons, and both of our collects of DVDs, games and books. With space to grow, as well. But we have papers and files and other collections to store.
So, the next thought was deeper shelves and cupboards but they also had to fit in either 2 spaces. By the door or by the window.


I picked out this glass fronted cupboard that was close to the depth of the wall and a deep shelving unit -both are deep enough that they will let me have folded fabric, boxes and best yet, my sewing machines stored sideways. I have two full sized and the cutest mini machine (that is a real pain to use, but it was my first and the only one I've brought myself).  When I got these units, my partner also treated themselves to a new desk - this is a kids desk pulled to full height and is no more than 2 cm shorter than mine. The pull was the shelving attached to the back and the legs have mini shelves between them - ideal for cable management or as he uses them for pencil cases, sweets and cable ties.

I still haven't decorated the glass front cupboards as the doors have to be clipped completely to do it - unlike the descriptions from IKEA.I had two guys and me putting these together and it was still difficult. So I want to display my swatches and art in the doors. But because its a right faff I am holding off until I can find a combination I won't want to change straight away.



In the end I have the shelves and cupboards pretty full already, but there's some areas for aesthetics, and only a little left as a space to grow if any. But I have also freed up space elsewhere, since I had a jumble of stuff in other areas. Now I have things collected together and loosely organised. I have been trying to go through my fabric stash, since I finished this. It's a lot quicker now since I know where my zips are, my ribbons, thread has three bins and patterns are all gathered together as usual. Decorating a these bits and pieces has also been a fun way to use up my art supplies too, as well to enjoy the space.



   ________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment