Sunday 13 September 2015

Practicing my stitch work



I've been practicing my stitches and it developed into something else. This little practice has really surprised me, though I did pick out some pretty complementary colours. I didn't really expect a design. However, I was repeating whatever I  did on one side, on the other to reflect the design and fill an area. This meant I could use more colour and  also practice stitch counting, and counting the area.

I used a woven cotton fabric, though it is uneven - this was intended as a practice only, so I didn't need to worry too much. I did keep count and try to keep the work even. I explored a lot of different combinations of colours, thread counts, stitches and tensions.  A few stitches were left loose to gather more thread on top of the fabric, allowing for a slightly different texture and depth to the work. 
I also applied different coverage. Using couching, heavy stitches, larger thread counts, and layers of stitches to build colour in areas and hinting at areas that are only outlined.



I had a lot of fun with the cross stitches covering the roof - layered with more cross stitch work and couched thread.



No comments:

Post a Comment