Monday 4 May 2020

C . W : Patterns

Changing Wardrobes : 


Patterns : 8127 Versus 5751



I have a desire or need to collect patterns for dresses above all other types of clothing. Dresses are my favourite to buy, to look through and what I also tend to sew. Both of these patterns have similar silhouettes, but achieved differently. Namely the number of panels and the pleating of Butterwick's 5751 pattern on the right. Which I think is my favourite of these two. I can see some great options for colour blocking and pairing fabrics. Then I see more adaptability in this pattern, as well -  increasing the bottom width of panels for volume, pleating them to hid more colour, piecing fabric together for the pleats and draping more (though for the volume, an underskirt would be needed). I love the rounded neckline and straps/cap sleeve. I feel these would be more flattering my figure. I also feel I can control the fit more over my waist and stomach - opening the pleats/panels  where it feels best for me. Rather than having  a fuller skirt down from the waist.


While Simplicity's 8127 is posed as a costume pattern for Lolita and Rockabilly. The designs pictured are very eye catching and what drew me to purchase this pattern in the first place. I love Lolita and the shape of these dresses. Though I do not own any Lolita dresses and outfits, nor have I had the chance to sew them just yet. I know the silhouette is flattering but I am picky about patterns for such dresses. Patterns lend themselves so much to the character of such dresses and I would want to be happy with the result, though this idea might be led by the cover image. So time will tell if I ever find a good fabric for my first try. Partially I think the pattern's cover stops me from being creative with the dress I want to make, putting it behind 5751. Imagination is a lot when it comes to being inspired and interesting in sewing a project for me. I do feel like the shape overall would be flattering, but for best results, an underskirt and some adaptions.


In the end, I'm happy to own both patterns, I even feel I could swap some features between the two once I'm better acquainted with the patterns. I just feel 8127 is more of a costume, while I can picture 5751 as a day dress or dressed up or a fun combination of coloured fabrics. Speaking of which I'd probably buy cotton, gingham, broadcloth or linen - so if I found a stunning patterned fabric I'd probably match it to the style I think would suit it best.





                 ________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment