Saturday 12 September 2015

G.O: Butterfly Doodles




I've mentioned my interest in Spoon flowers contests and weekly competitions - well I thought I'd share my work to draw butterflies. I actually went out of my way to but a little antique book of English Butterflies.  I posted an image of the book on my Instagram. 

This little book with its coloured plates of butterflies - claiming them to be true to size, allowed me to explore different sizes, shapes and colours of Butterflies.

I used felt tip pens with water - to dull the colour and then build it over layers. It also allows for  strong lines of colour and bleeding in areas. I used the pens like watercolours and it can create similar results though some colours are much harder to build upon (e.g. yellow) and grey/blacks are hard to keep strong without it bleeding into several other colours when too much water is used.

I also played with composition to create a much busier pattern, something I don't often do. I wanted all the colour and the clashing of all the butterflies. I played with scale, with different sizes and never repeating a pattern. Though this allowed me to play and explore more than create a final piece.

I am sorry, but I won't be sharing my final designs any time soon. However these 
studies and drawings will inform further work. This will be created using a digital
 tablet and software. I am really looking forward to continuing this work.               





 ____________________________________________________________

For those interested:




No comments:

Post a Comment