Friday 22 May 2020

C . W : Patterns

Changing Wardrobes : 


Patterns :  The Charlie Shirt Dress & Dec 2016

Threaders The Charlie Shirt Dress & Prima Dec 2016



Dresses, my largest section in my pattern collection. These two dresses are very different in styles and presentation but I'd happily wear either style for causal or a little dressy for an evening out. Threader's - The charlie shirt dress, on the left, has different lengths and sleeve options to change the look. A more casual style in general for a day /utility dress for function, but many shirt dresses have been worn and dressed up for an evening out. Even if the trend to do so can be a little dated, colour blocking, fine/patterned fabrics and accessories alongside comfort still keep them about.
On the right, the Prima's December 2016 dress has a simple silhouette and a more dressed up feel inherently - largely from the peak-a-boo shoulder with long sleeve. Maxi dresses might be worn more causally but there's a boho style to them. This shift style goes for more a simple chic look.





























The fabrics suggested for these two dresses are very different. Threader's shirt dress suggests the cotton, linen,  poplin and medium weight woven fabrics, very common for this style of dress. Pattern will create most of the variety. Buttons could be contrasting to complimentary as well. If confident with collars and necklines, a sewer could experiment with different changes and styles.
Silk crepe de china, polyester crepe, fine wool crepe are so different but perfect for the silhouette of the DEC. 2016 pattern, it will give the dress the body and flow for the dress. As these fabrics will sit relaxed on the body, allowing for the shift style dress, rather than hugging the body. I think the longer length will allow any chosen fabrics to really shine and might lend itself to a more casual look for a summer maxi to dress up. A short dress with long sleeves may be very understated depending on the fabric, but more difficult to wear everyday.

My preference my both these patterns would be the longer version. The shirt dress I'd likely do the vest style or cap sleeve. I can see myself sewing both these in a block colour first and foremost, but I'd most likely want a pattern for the shirt dress and a lovely texture to Dec. 2016. As for which I'd pick up to sew first would be depending on plans in the future or how busy I've been.  I've sewn a few maxi dresses from scratch, so I don't need more casual dresses - but I also have no where to go. The summers best weather will be passed me  soon so Dec.2016 most likely won't be sewn this year, unless Christmas has any big parties for me.

I'll have to go with the shirt dress, utility and wear-ability will likely win out, alongside the need to practice buttons and button holes. I could also make false button stands if I have too much trouble or feel like the button stand needs any reinforcement.


                 ________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment