Saturday 28 March 2015

My Bradford Competition Entry


I've entered a competition a few weeks back and this was my entry. I entered the illustration section,  where I had to produce a fabric - here a woven white piece of textiles off my Textel loom - and produce a collection around this fabric.
I didn't have time to create a digital designs as well as these drawings on tracing paper, that I wanted. Which would have allowed me to create some more options to hand in and choose from. Any digital designs wouldn't have been made with photos of the textiles due to the difficulty with photographing and printing white on white designs. My digital designs, if any are produced, will need contrasting colours to create drawing of the textures.

I know you can't see the textures involved or read the text - this was just a quick phone photo.

I like how my illustrations came out. It's difficult to design in white, but I choose to try rather than use black line detail to illustrate my ideas on paper. Instead I used white paint, tippex (pen and bottled), white gel pen, etc. to get some interesting results. This also let me play with my mother of pearl paint. Which I have loved using or mixing into other materials.

I've also found that using black pen or some of my white paints on the wrong side of tracing paper when I have applied white chalk or pen or sometimes paint can have nice affects. Giving faint details or outlines. Whilst applying white paint on both sides allows me to layer the paint without letting cracking happen. Giving me a nice solid white with thin paints. I'll show some more of these illustrations in tomorrows post.

I also want to add good luck to my follow competitors, at my university or otherwise. I'd like to win and see your work first hand at the exhibit, but I know there's a lot of great work every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment