Tuesday 24 March 2015

My project of no name

My project for my final semester - is a project I have been doing for my final year, as I have continued my project over from my first semester. The research started over the summer in 2014 and  based on graffiti and the surrounding area (architecture and the 'canvas' used), only. I still have not named this project or the collection I am developing from it.

Geometric design has been something that's helped to build my designs, but I've tried to keep it bulky or sketchy in style to not have a fine artistic style to my work. Setting my work away from designs that only feature geometry in their work. So there is no minimalist style to the designs that make them look clean and neat. Something texture and graffiti paint isn't.

White became my palette choice after summer, to little the variety in my work and the help focus solely on the texture to develop my work. It became a feature instead. And in my final semester I have chosen to stick with it- only applying some amounts of grey or black due to the influence of materials and my theme of snow. Allowing for some experimenting with other materials not available in brilliant shades of white. 

The main issue I've faced is in sourcing white materials - due to the fact that I am avoiding most optic whites and cream shades so my work does not appear to look 'dirty' or mismatched. I have seen some of my work in natural light outside the studio and the differences can be seen very well because I am using white. Online sourcing is kind of scary and the studio is not stocked with many choices for those who are nit-picking. Though this has led to more experimentation on my part, and built on my development for colour matching and palette selection.

In a later post I'll cover my research points, issues and sketchbook to allow a more detailed view of the projects development. Also I will cover where this project is going. However my aim is to use this work to develop fashion wear for young women, 16+, for a mid-high end target audience. So higher than high-street fashion. This lets me create fabrics and see how they can be used for garments in my own collection. So design can be affected by use, rather than creating a collection selecting suitable fabric/s.

No comments:

Post a Comment