Friday 9 April 2021

C . W : Patterns

 


Changing Wardrobes : 


Patterns : Prima Oct. 2019 &Vogue Basic Design 1534





This time I am looking at different styles for loose dresses. The prima pattern - Oct.2019, on the left, has a empire line fitted round the bust, 3/4 or gathered 1/4 length sleeves. The skirt of the dress flows from there, seamed down the front, another option is there for having a slit in the front from about knee height. A casual dress, with a vintage vibe, especially in floral fabrics. Cottons, linens, crepe and any silk/silk like will make a lovely fabric choice. I can see this in some abstract florals for a fun twist. Making a comfy dress, you can adapt the fit  to your body and be able to make a fairly simple dress in some nice fabrics or combinations. I can see some going for a faux vintage vibe with  decorative buttons and loops on the front up the seam, to the split.


On the right, I have an old pattern brought second hand in a charity shop (uncut last time I checked), with Vogue's Basic 1534 boxy dress pattern. A lot of variations are included in this pattern alongside the main body - a boxy top with a wide and shallow boat neckline, a key hole at the back of the neck, gathered at an elasticated waist, with a loose skirt. The options include; sleeveless, elbow length sleeves, and full length cuffed sleeve, a neck tie with a wide peter pan style, a split square/pilgrim collar, 2 skirt lengths and finally a contrast band in the skirt if preferred. This pattern would be loose and comfortable some details are very dated and not often worn anymore, including the silhouette. I like to have some boxy fits from the bust with the short skirt, I'd like keep a plain/contrast neckline or have the peter pan and tie style. Split the sleeves under the arm and have them as a capelet style. From there I'd have the try the fit to make bigger changes. One addition to think of is lengthening the parts of the front of the bodice  to exaggerate the boxy look/as if it was tucked in. The skirt can be shortened or length added, as well, to suit.


I would most likely make the Prima Oct.2019 pattern in cotton with puff sleeves and remake in a crepe or more fun print. However, I would love to see the Vogue pattern made and worn, but the dated style makes it difficult to wear when its not in my preferred style from the past.  I would modernise it where possible, and with my body the fit would not be as flattering. Only a style for comfort in my case. I would have to see how this adapts to any changes I make before this changes in my mind.





                 ________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment