Friday 4 December 2020

G . O : Patterns

  


Getting On :


Patterns : Feb 2015 & Sept 2015





Both of these patterns were gifts, passed to me from readers of Prima, I have the coat pattern from February 2015 & the dress pattern from September 2015. I like Prima patterns for their size range - and I usually collect patterns like this, as while I can grade sizes for a decent part. I like to trace a size I need and keep these paper, with any adjustments I make. While, there is no direct comparison here, I still plan to layout which I'm more likely to sew. I paired these two for comfortable autumn/winter wear, with the length options to make things more comfortable for different weathers and temperatures.


Prima Feb. 2015, on the left, is a trench coat style, with a wide collar and tie with a structure to the fit of the coat. It's suggested to sew in wool or wool mix. If you wanted I imagine a cotton mix treated for weather and water proofing would also be a great mix. This would likely need a more fitted look, facings and linings. Coats are something I need to try and practice more - I've sewn with wool and mostly enjoyed it. Just had to remember to keep up with hovering the space. I don't currently have a coat fitted like this - but I have some in a hoodie style, one for dresses and others are loose/not so fitted. I tend to not favour a large collar. This can be trimmed back with wool once made or use snap backs/buttons or stitches to pin them out the way. Or if more preferable close, closer to the neck. Wool and wool mixes comes in a lot more patterns and textures than ever. Examples could be a basic and classic beige camel, tartan, and block colours or tones. More modern twists mean a coat could be made with an Ombre fabric with metallic or dyed half/edge. The result could result in a classic and well used/fitted wardrobe addition or a striking unique piece for an event or specific outfit. I'd love a bright red, but as I have such a coat - I'd likely go for camel or a red tartan.


Prima Sept. 2015, on the right, is a loose draped dress with a pair of darts in the back. A gathered front around the neckline. There are two lengths of dress and sleeves. There are two As you can imagine, looking at a a pattern like this - it requires fabric that drapes well, with options in jersey, polyester, silk, and viscose. Some mixes would do well, if they don't have a body that makes the fabric too stiff. A dress in this style or similar can usually be brought or made in jersey, throughout the year. This pattern would be great for trying different fabrics - to learn how to treat them and the differences it makes in the end result. With such a staple dress you can't go too wrong with print, colour or fabrics. For myself I'd love to see an emerald green silk or jersey. I don't have enough dresses in either fabric, and while I love green I don't find the shades I like. Paired with the coat in camel I'd be warm enough with either result. 


In the end, both patterns are great and as I started out - I think these make a great pairing and would love to see these both made. Both patterns can make a potential staple for a wardrobe, but for myself I'd start with the coat. I don't buy many and wool is still an investment to me when I sew. I'd buy a coating fabric I'm in love with and work hard at this. Whether I go for something unique with colours, materials or thread choice, or a staple designed to fit me perfectly I've been waiting for. I also know I'll learn a lot more about a different style and construction by sewing this. I don't often have side panels and always want to practice sleeves, even if I don't add a lining to them (would help with a longer life and itching for sensitive skin). I still want to see the result of an Ombre fabric, as much I don't see myself wearing it. 





                 ________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment