Sunday 5 July 2015

G.O: One summers floral work

I've mentioned this floral theme, for a summer project, two years ago. This is mostly the resulting work - the imagery developed differently for the different sections of work to suit the textiles. This also revolved around developing digital work in each area, using the industry machines and software available to create the work - from  Print, Knit, and Weave. Print was the first section, followed by knit then weave. This allowed me to develop the imagery very quickly. Using my sketches to make rough sketchy prints and another set with line drawings to being in colour and detail in different measures - Allowing for clearer detail. Though we also had to create manual/hand processed work for each section too - on domestic knit machines, printing, 

Though its difficult to pick up detail in some machine knitted work I choose to continue with sketchy work  like the flowers below with ink drippings and painterly textures flattened into 3 colours - the back ground, the flowers and the detail. Designs like this and similar to the one below would need to be cleaned up make any imagery clearer. This could be done through varying the stitches rather than colour with the machine we used. We did use manual technique alongside our digital work to make a varied collection of designs and textiles.


As print meant using more software and layers to my work than before - I played with layering my textures and designs. My designs consisted of digitally drawing and designed imagery, as well as cleaned up sketches and scans. I also scanned different textures I created with different mediums - from pastels, acrylics, inks, watercolours, etc.

I layered different effects as well, with layers that played with hue, opacity, saturation, contrast and other effects. The colorful pieces like those in the center and to the right, below make great prints and are simple to recreate when printed digitally on silk - I choose bamboo silk. 

Whilst, the line work I created for prints lent itself nicely to inspire digitally design woven pieces, like the design to the left, below. print allowed me to explore different flowers and styles quickly. I wanted a more following collection of designs for my weaves






_______________________________________________________________


This project was from before the summer I had the flower project - My 1st year of 
textiles (2nd  year at university). This was all hand processed prints - a theme was
  different and didn't cross over for each section and textiles area - knit, print and weave.



Screen and stencil printing. With an urban theme. The focus was on structure 
from the architectural photographs for the screen printing, and was expanded 
on with the stencils of people - which were each cut out by hand. These 
stencils added more simple detail, block colour and something relate-able.

No comments:

Post a Comment